Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the start of the art film movie 50/50 directed by Jonathan Levine in 2011. This is one of the most important movies of Levine because it was written by a real-life cancer survivor, having a big impact in the movie industry and fans because of the big emotional content.
Jay and Mark Dupplass Brothers and Christopher Smith are recognized together to Levine as the best filmmaker in the independent film industry:
- Thomas McCarthy: The Station Agent (2003), The Visitor (2008), Win Win (2011)
- Christopher Smith: Creep (2004), Triangle (2009), Black Death (2011)
- Steve McQueen: Hunger (2008), Shame (2011)
- Lynne Ramsay: Ratcatcher (1999), Morvern Cellar (2002), We Need To Talk About Kevin (2011)
- Ben Wheatley: Down Terrace (2009), Kill List (2012
- Jeff Nichols: Shotgun Stories (2007), Take Shelter (2011)
- Jay and Mark Duplass: The Puffy Chair (2005), Baghead (2008), Cyrus (2010)
- Nicolas Winding Refn: Pusher (1996), Pusher II: With Blood On My Hands (2004), Pusher III: I Am The Angel Of Death(2005)
- Rian Johnson: Brick (2005), The Brothers Bloom (2009)
- Jonathan Levine: All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006), The Wackness (2008), 50/50 (2011)
Hollywood Best Directors
Charlie Chaplin has been always known for his great performance in the silence films but he also was a great writer and director showing it in Modern Times and City Lights, two of his more important movies.
Woody Allen and Tim Burton are included in a list of the best filmmakers of all times.